First and foremost, from the bottom of my heart, thank you so much for your generosity and your amazing level of support.
I am in (happy) tears over seeing the way that Superhero Therapy has grown as a community world-wide. In the last 4 years I have seen more kindness, compassion, openness, and connection than I ever have in my entire life.
I have also seen grief and pain. People from all over the world are reaching out and communicating about how much they are hurting, about the tragedies that they have been through, whether it was from sexual or physical assault they experienced, a death or multiple deaths they had witnessed, or daily living through a mental health disorder which at times causes so much pain that living seems impossible.
In short, I have seen courage. I have seen people commit to doing the impossible to try to help others and that is exactly what I am setting out to do. The purpose of this community is to create a space where we can be heroes. To each other, to others, and also, to ourselves.
I have recently started a Patreon page
and am incredibly grateful for all your support there as well. You are making the impossible possible.
Here are some of the projects that Superhero Therapy corporation is currently working on:
1) We are starting a regular charity support for non-profit organizations that work with people with mental health, chronic illness, or physical disabilities.
2) We are planning and preparing several events for Veterans with PTSD and Wounded Warriors Project in San Diego, CA
3) We are planning Public Service Announcements to provide education and mental health support through pop culture for Veterans in Ohio
4) We are going to have our first international educational session on Superhero Therapy in Ireland in order to provide education and support to mental health providers in that region
5) We are setting up educational workshops for mental health providers to educate them how to incorporate pop culture into therapy
6) I am creating a FREE “Harry Potter Therapy” book to be released on September 1, 2017. This will serve as a free self-help book for Harry Potter fans who might struggle with anxiety, depression, PTSD, eating disorders, or other mental health struggles
7) “Superhero Therapy” self-help book is coming out on August 1, 2017 in the US but free copies will be available at Book Con on June 3, 2017
8) We are working on having a set amount of “Superhero Therapy” books be available for those who need them but cannot afford them
9) I am currently writing two fantasy self-help books. One of these will be in the traditional novel format (Little, Brown Publisher), whereas the other will be a graphic novel (New Harbinger Publisher). These are scheduled to release in 2018 and 2019, respectively.
10) We are working hard to connect with our supporters from around the world and are hoping for a chance to be able to meet with all of you at some point or another.
Your support is making this possible. YOU are making a difference, whether you know this or not. There is someone out there whose life is forever changed for the better because of you. Mine. And probably many other people’s.
Every day is an opportunity to make a difference. To be kind, to offer support, to share our experiences and ourselves with others.
So let’s be heroes together. Let’s spread love. Let’s take over the world with compassion and our passion for pop culture. Let’s let others know we care.
Thank you for being my superhero. Today and every day.
Dr. Janina Scarlet is a Licensed Clinical Psychologist, a scientist, and a full-time geek. A Ukrainian-born refugee, she survived Chernobyl radiation and persecution. She immigrated to the United States at the age of 12 with her family and later, inspired by the X-Men, developed Superhero Therapy to help patients with anxiety, depression, and PTSD. Her book, “Superhero Therapy” came out on December 1, 2016 in the U.K. and will release on August 1, 2017 in the U.S.
If you would like to learn more about Superhero Therapy, contact Dr. Janina Scarlet Twitter @shadowquill, Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/Shadow.Scarletl, or website at www.superhero-therapy.com, or Patreon: https://www.patreon.com/superherotherapy